WHAT IS PROVOCATION?
Put simply, provocations provoke! They provoke thoughts, discussions, questions, interests, creativity and ideas. They can also expand on a thought, project, idea and interest.
Provocations can come in many forms:
· An interesting photo, picture or book,
· Nature (e.g. specimens)
· Conceptual (e.g. changing seasons, light)
· Old materials displayed in a new way,
· An object (e.g. magnets, maps)
· New creative mediums,
· Questions (from any source – i.e. What is gravity?)
· An event (e.g. a presentation, a holiday)
Provocations can be as simple as a photo of a rock sculpture next to some pebbles or as elaborate as a table with an assortment of recycled materials next to a book on robots and resources to make recycled robots. Often though, provocations are simple and displayed beautifully to provoke interest.